Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shirley Connolly is here with her new book...win a free copy!

Hi all, Shirley Connolly is here today introducing us to her new book. I hope you enjoy the interview! Leave a comment and you'll be entered to win a free copy.

Shirley Kiger Connolly, born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, now lives on the Southern Coast of Oregon with her husband. Their three children are now grown. When not writing, Shirley is with her animals, doing stitchery, or reading, or watching classics with her husband. Shirley attended college in Northern California.
She later became a graduate of Institute of Children’s Literature. A Christian for over forty years, it was through her relationship with the Lord, she developed a passion for women’s ministry and teaching. This blossomed further when her husband went into pastoral ministry. While teaching, Shirley’s love for research led to the publishing of two historical fiction novels. Shirley also wears another hat, penning light-hearted devotional books . The first in a series of three: I See God in the Simple Things is scheduled to release this month. Shirley’s goal is to keep her fiction as true to life as possible, and focus her devotionals on simple everyday living to encourage her readers to enjoy life to the fullest regardless of its difficulties.


Plug time! Please tell us a little about your latest release and why readers should run out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves.

I’ll be talking about my new light-hearted devotional coming out in February. It’s called I See God in the Simple Things and it’s about those things in life you and I experience every day through simple daily living. God is so wonderful the way He shows us more about ourselves simply by having us look at life as it really is. He also shows us through those basic experiences where we truly are in our walks with Him. Have you ever noticed that? It’s sad how so many of us get caught up in making things difficult for ourselves, especially during a trial. God tries to urge us back in the sweetest sort of way. We oftentimes don’t take the time to open our eyes. I See God in the Simple Things takes the reader behind the eyes of maybe a chicken, or a goat, or it might show us a word of wisdom from a child’s response to something we are doing. In the book, after each reflection, is an area for the reader to journal her own thoughts about what God has shown her that day. I think women of all ages who are ready to take a little moment out of their day with God, will be blessed and encouraged through the reading of this book. I See God in the Simple Things is the first in a three-book series I’m doing.

In your opinion, what’s the toughest thing you find about writing? The easiest?

The toughest in my fiction stories is the beginning. The easiest in my fiction work is working out my characters and their dialogues. For my devotionals doing the index I guess is the most difficult or at least time consuming. I like to index the scriptures that can be used for various subject matter for my readers. The easiest? Probably coming up with the subject matter.

How do you choose your settings for each book?

For my fiction work, I like to write what I know, so it could have been someplace I have been before, or someplace I have done research on. As far as the time to go with the place, I love books written about the 1800s most of all. That, too, helps me determine where my setting might be. For my devotionals, the setting for each reflection is right where I am at the moment: in the chicken coup, out in the barn, in the garden, at my kitchen window. You name it.

How do you make time for God in the craziness of life?

God is first and foremost, Lynette, so I don’t even start my day without Him going before me. I find, if I don’t do that, my day never goes quite right.

What’s next for you in the world of publishing?

Right now, I am working on my third fiction book, and also getting my second devotional ready for release in November. I am pretty excited about all the Lord is doing, even though my work is not yet well known to the public.

Any parting comments?

Simply a great big thank you and hug for allowing me to share about my new book. I hope you all get a chance to read it. I think you will really be encouraged by it.

Where can we find you online?

You can find me at http://apenforyourthoughts.blogspot.com/ and http://shirleykoinonia.tripod.com/ At A Pen for Your Thoughts I usually have a contest going on, and I’m always interviewing old and new authors, whether published or not. I love to get to know people and tell others about them. Come on by, please, and sign up to be a follower. Then you can stay up to date with what I’m doing.


Thanks so much for being here, Shirley, it was great getting to know you a little better. God Bless!

5 comments:

Renee Ryan said...

Shirley,

Great interview. I love how you start your day with God going before you. How, specifically, do you do that? I always love to hear how others do that.

THANKS!
~Renee~

Merry said...

Lovely interview. Please include me, this devotional sounds wonderful. Thanks!
worthy2bpraised{at}gmail{dot}com

Unknown said...

I am truly appreciating your comments. I sometimes wonder how many people take a little time out in their day to glance at a devotional. I really look forward to sharing this book with someone.
To answer Renee's question about how I start my day with the Lord everyday...once I am up and around, and I have poured myself a cup of coffee, it is customary for my husband Tom and I to go to the table and bow our heads together. And since I teach a women's group every Thursday in my home, I HAVE to take some time in the Word to prepare. It all begins with setting up a habit and keeping to it.

Blessings

Martha A. said...

I read one of your books recently and enjoyed it...the devotional sounds nice.
martha(at)lclink(dot)com

Nancy O said...

Ive been to some of your retreats Shirley. Where you spoke. I really was blessed. Looking forward to your book.
Nancy Omerson
Bodega CA